Friday, November 7, 2014

Opposites Attract

Fit Day Friday

Running is fun for me, but strength training is a bit more of a chore. Because of that, I am always looking for new ways to tone my muscles while keep things fun. I decided to turn to fitness guru Kelsey Coljohn for some tips. Aside from being a certified fitness trainer, she recently competed in her first bikini contest after months of strict dieting and exercise. All of her hard work paid off, and she had gotten her body into tip-top condition, her muscles tight and toned as ever. It was very inspirational to watch her journey. When I asked her personally for some advice on how to keep things fresh, she suggested pairing different muscle groups together in the same workout. I usually only focus one one muscle group per workout, so this thought caught me off guard. I trusted very deeply in her advice, so I gave it a shot. Holding a 10-pound weight in each hand with my arms by their respective sides and standing with my feet shoulder width apart, I sat back into a squat, returned to standing up straight, then extended both of my hands up into a press over my head, and returned my arms back to dangling at their respective sides. During the squat portion, it is important that you allow your spine to stay in its natural curve and not hyperextend it. This will ensure that you are using the right muscles for this exercise. During the arm press, it is important to start your arms out in 90 degree angles with your fists up, raise each fist toward the other above your head, and return to that 90 degree angle. 1 squat-press rep should take about 8 seconds. I did 3 sets of 10 reps of this squat-press combination for an excellent legs, booty, and back, and arms workout. Can we change that saying to "kill FOUR birds with one stone" after this multitasking exercise? 

*A special shoutout to my dear cousin Kelsey Coljohn for providing this edition of Fit Day Friday! Love you girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me! You are too "sweet" ;)