Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Fresh Party in a Bowl

Healthy Hump Day Recipe

Nothing says "fresh" like a bowl full of colorful vegetables, otherwise known as a salad. Salads get a bad rap for being healthy and tasteless, but I couldn't disagree with that more since it is really all about what you put into it. It is impossible to get bored with salads because there are so many different versions you can make. Add this, substitute that, and BAM new salad from the day before. Plus with all of the different types of dressings, the flavors are endless. I recently experimented with some of the various veggies I had in my fridge and re-fell in love with the salad concept. I make sure to add protein and fruit to it and usually have a slice of whole wheat toast to really make it a perfectly balanced lunch. I always ensure that I use dressing in moderation with only a couple of tablespoons drizzled over top. The vegetables will keep their crunch yet still have plenty of flavor with the moderate amount of dressing. I chop up the ingredients as small as possible since I like a smoother texture, and I even eat my salads with a spoon if the ingredients are chopped up enough! (Don't judge...) Salads also make for a quick, easy, and nutritious packed lunch as long as you have an ice pack to keep it cool or can put it in a refrigerator at work. Just load all of your salad components into a tupperware container and dressing in a separate container, then add the dressing to the salad tupperware and shake it up to mix through. YUM! Below are some of my favorite combinations, but the possibilities are endless! 

Spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, feta cheese, diced chicken, and drizzled with lemon juice.

Spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, shredded carrots, shredded turkey, mozzarella cheese, and drizzled with light ranch dressing.

Leafy greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, shredded carrots, grapes, slivered almonds, and drizzled with with raspberry vinaigrette. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me! You are too "sweet" ;)