Monday, March 23, 2015

Sweets from Ireland

Maniac Monday: Challenge- Girl Vs. Irish Sweets

St. Patrick's Day has got to be one of my favorite holidays. My Grandmother was born and raised in Ireland, so carrying on the heritage was always a priority for her after moving to The States. She would tell us stories about her childhood time and time again that it felt like we lived those stories with her, and about a year and a half ago my family got to relive those stories when we visited Ireland and the town that she grew up in. It was so special. Because of the way that dual citizenship works in Ireland, I was able to apply for it and submitted all of my paperwork the week before last, so I am just waiting to hear if I was accepted. I am thrilled to have done this and be able to say that I am a citizen of the country that meant so much to my Grandmother, to my family, and to me. 

To connect us further with our Irish culture, a few of my cousins and I Irish step dance (like Riverdance and Lord of the Dance) and have competed in it all over the country throughout our childhood. I still have the privilege of Irish dancing with a very talented band here in Central Florida that had a full line up of gigs last week to celebrate St. Paddy's Day, one of a which was a Celtic Festival in the beautiful city of St. Augustine. Thousands of people came to celebrate the Irish culture. One of the things that I just had to get my hands on was some delicious Irish dessert- shortbread! I was looking for a very specific vendor whose shortbread cookies are as big as my fist and topped with homemade fudge, and thankfully I found them! Nothing beats ending the night after our last gig with a cup of tea and this delicious shortbread creation. Made from sugar, butter, and flour, shortbread is a not-too-sweet dessert that holds its thick and dense shape very well making it great for dipping into tea. Although it holds its shape, it is not crunchy by any means and, in fact, melts in your mouth making it easy to enjoy its rich flavor.

I knew my Grandmother was with me in spirit this St. Patrick's Day as she has been for the past few St. Patrick's Days, and I can't wait until next year when America focuses so much on the wonderful Irish culture again!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me! You are too "sweet" ;)