Saturday, February 28, 2015

Homemade Frosting Sandwich

Sweet Recipe Saturday

I love chocolate. Shocker, right? More importantly, I am not willing to compromise on the chocolate flavor in my desserts at all which usually means that the unhealthiest ingredients go into my desserts. I justify that because I eat very healthy all day and exercise everyday, so I can treat myself by indulging in my guilty pleasure to the fullest. 

That being said, there are some ingredients that really can replace some unhealthy ingredients WITHOUT sacrificing the flavor in some of my favorite desserts! I was very apprehensive to give this a shot and was convinced that I was going to be able to taste a difference. Much to my surprise, I could not tell that a common brownie ingredient was replaced by a healthy one- unsweetened applesauce instead of oil! For this sweet treat, I use a boxed brownie mix and a tub of frosting to make a brownie frosting sandwich inspired by the Earl of Sandwich and Ghirardelli's brownie frosting sandwich. Click here to read about that deliciousness!

I figured that if I am going to add even more unhealthy things to make this dessert extra tasty, I may as well substitute a healthy ingredient if it doesn't compromise the taste. I know to not count a brownie as 1 serving of fruit, though, just because it has applesauce in it... If only...

HealthiER Frosting Sandwich

Ingredients
-Boxed brownie mix of your choice (my favorite, thanks to my mom, is Ghirardelli's Double Chocolate!)
-Ingredients on the back of the boxed brownie mix box EXCEPT oil
-Applesauce in the same amount that the box calls for oil
-1 tub chocolate frosting
-Sprinkles

Directions
1. Follow instructions on back of boxed brownie mix replacing the oil with applesauce.
2. Bake in a 9"x12" baking dish according to boxed brownie mix instructions.
3. Cool completely. Cut in half and place one half on a serving platter.
4. Microwave the tub of frosting with the lid off for 20 seconds. Spread half on top of brownie and add sprinkles.
5. Top with other half of brownie. Add remaining frosting and some sprinkles.

*Have fun with this recipe by trying different frosting flavors and different ingredients instead of sprinkles!


The ingredients

Mix egg, water, and applesauce


Add brownie mix


Bake in 9"x12" dish according to box instructions

Cool completely

Cut in half and place one half on platter

Microwave frosting for 20 seconds

Spread half of frosting on brownie half

Add sprinkles

Top with other brownie and add frosting and sprinkles

Add caption

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me! You are too "sweet" ;)